- Stocking Stuffer idea for social media marketers :Jackery iPhone Charger (super price right now) http://t.co/reD2c7oGI6 ->
- Stocking stuffer idea for marketers. RT @amazon: 71% Off @JackeryInc Portable Phone Charger! http://t.co/x5ZxkUHvkq http://t.co/X3DuqfDZju ->
- New Blog Post: @Newspapergrl PR and Marketing Tweets of the Week 2014-12-02 http://t.co/KnaZkz25hi ->
- RT @AndyBeal: Internet advertising to grow 15 percent, with display taking the lead http://t.co/z9EPSNgBxP ->
- Yes – need this! RT @AndyBeal: You know that Facebook post from last week, now you can find it again http://t.co/OB3OMDn20H ->
- RT @AdamSinger: MT @SAI Native ads spending is soaring as marketers, online publishers realize benefits http://t.co/fyiySS18w4 http://t.co/… ->
- http://t.co/vK7XOzesqF software for manufacturers wins Big Potential Award – at #utah entrepreneur excellence awards http://t.co/AfgzZHN74j ->
- Best bootstrapped award goes to my friend Paul @saltspa custom spa products #utah congrats! http://t.co/7mHkvVvyRM http://t.co/OwA62jlelb ->
- "We use every opportunity to use creativity to gain exposure." #pr @saltspa ->
- Got on the cover of spa mag sent to every top spa pub saying I want to be on the cover of your magazine. @saltspa #pr http://t.co/0FXBWDdGXE ->
- Winner of the Rapid Growth Award is camera gear & bags co @GuraGear congrats! http://t.co/lAfocuRUNH ->
- 25 Epic Design Tips for Non-Designers on the Canva blog (big fan of Canva) http://t.co/cUU2eWga07 ->
- How do you promote your blog AND continue to produce high quality content?http://t.co/q8XzuPb4BA ->
- The PR stunts that won in 2014 http://t.co/I3enY5EhjB via @Inc ->
- This year's Snuggie but in pants. Created by U of #utah students #kickstarter #tooweird: http://t.co/JWfP3a9acd ->
- RT @MailChimp: We improved our click rates by 17% using automation. Here's how: https://t.co/HWzG8pPZMa http://t.co/IdqvWFfR9a ->
- RT @MailChimp: BuzzFeed says delight trumps open rate. Their newsletter traffic is up 700%. http://t.co/kixD8OgZdv ->
- RT @MailChimp: Here's some design inspiration for your holiday campaigns: http://t.co/X4sUgZEEXr ->
- Work Kickstarter And it Will Work For You! via @TheMongulMom https://t.co/vQ90J09vDr ->
- Are you an #author? If your book is on Amazon you can offer 25% off – until Dec 14. Details: http://t.co/RBPAYS6RBb http://t.co/oeGRjcorym ->
- 25% off books @ Amazon til 12/14 http://t.co/RBPAYS6RBb 4 details. Top marketing books of 2014 http://t.co/othBCPwwBL http://t.co/5ZKwuKhIJ8 ->
- RT @slideberry: 39 Blogging Tools to Help You Work Faster, Write Better, and Land More Readers https://t.co/nWNbtnt54O via @buffer ->
- Another one for the ebook. Red Robin to Host the “World’s Largest Ugly Sweater Party” #RRUglySweater http://t.co/OsmhvAs6Re ->
- Don't hire people to delegate, hire them to elevate. http://t.co/jLvdxP6K1L #slideshare @HubSpot ->
- #ChristmasLightsEtc Launches "Hit Us with Your Best Shot" photo contest. #xmasebook http://t.co/qz17PDYzSV ->
- Today is the last day to get 25% off a book @ Amazon – details: http://t.co/RBPAYS6RBb ->
- List of top 10 marketing books of 2014 http://t.co/l3SfWXwcOA via @Inc ->
- 5 Books From 2014 That I’ve Read More Than Once http://t.co/E5CjcKwfT8 via @patflynn #passiveincome #onlinemarketing ->
- WordPress on-page SEO: How to do it perfectly – http://t.co/FKH6REDpaN ->
- New Blog Post: How to Make Money Blogging: An eBook Review http://t.co/i6I5E868z6 ->
- Did you hear about the Twitter #airlinethrowdown banter that started with @slcairport? http://t.co/3gSnVRaVH2 ->
Thanks to food bloggers Pinch of Yum’s income reports I’ve become very interested in how to make money blogging. Their reports are one of my favorite things to read and I learn so much from each one. I’ve made money because of my blog but rarely on my blog directly. In September I started working at The Blogger Network and now I have ads on my site, which is a foundation for making money blogging.
I recently found Chelsea’s Messy Apron and her ebook, How I Made $40k My First Year Blogging. It’s become one of my favorites. I realize that both of my examples are from food bloggers, which means their content is skewed towards that niche, but I think any blogger could learn from them. First, I have to say that I respect anyone who can make that kind of cash from blogging in just one year. It’s very impressive!
$14k of her first year’s blog income was from ads. The great thing about ads is that is once you set them up you make money passively (esp. if someone else manages the adsfor you). I see a lot of blogs apply to join The Blogger Network and most are too small to meet our minimum pageviews of 90k. She reached that threshold in just 3 months and I have deep respect for that accomplishment. I don’t usually see a lot of detailed information about ads so I appreciated her straightforward explanations. She uses several different ad providers as well as networks that connect bloggers to sponsored post opportunities.
The Importance of Mindset
One of the foundations of success is mindset and Chelsea talks about how this. She had another blog that didn’t take off. She took what she learned about creating compelling content, headlines and images. It worked. I like how she started off with the intention of success and thinking like a business.
When I first started blogging, I immediately started with the mindset that people would be reading my blog. This mindset is very important. If you only think that your mom is going to read your blog, your content will reflect accordingly. ..I am a strong believer in the power of our thoughts. Right off the bat, it is important to imagine your blog being successful and your skills improving. .. If you think you won’t ever get followers (or make money, improve your photography, etc.) you are right—you won’t! On the other hand if you are positive and confident you will gain followers (or however you measure success), you will!
Investing in your Blog Pays Off
Another lesson that Chelsea learned is that you need to invest in your blog. She spent 40 hours a week on it as well as investing money into it. She regrets going DIY in her site design at first and you can see how she gradually realized that didn’t pay off.
“If you are serious about making an income off of your blog, you are going to have to invest.”
One thing I would’ve included is investing in blog conferences but being a review of her first year, she may not have attended any. I know bloggers have brainstorming sessions and other free ways of learning from each other, but it’s not the same as attending a blogging conference. They are on a much larger scale than a group getting together to chat. That means they can bring the best speakers, accommodate a larger crowd (more potential partners), and bring brands on as sponsors. You get to look for people to collaborate with in your niche for future giveaways and projects. There’s nothing like getting a group together in person to plan. Face to face meeting can be so much more efficient. Attending a conference is also how you meet brands that you can work with. You can go direct and pitch your services and skill set. In other words, conferences represent OPPORTUNITY.
I really like how Chelsea divided her book into months so you could see the progress she made. You get to live the experience with her. She shares information about the hashtags she uses that are effective for her, the sites that bring her the most traffic, and the tools she uses in her business. There is a lot of information about photography including props, lighting, cameras and lenses.
Group Boards on Pinterest
In addition to a lot of spot on advice, she has short tutorials on everything from setting up a WordPress site to creating a cover image for Facebook and other social media sites. I particularly liked the walk through of Ahalogy for scheduling pins on Pinterest. She also included a section on group boards on Pinterest but not as much detail about how to find group boards to join. There are sites like PinGroupie that are directories to help you find group boards by topic.
Facebook Groups for Bloggers
While she did talk about a Facebook group she belongs to, Chelsea didn’t link to it or go into much more detail. As part of The Blogger Network you can join our private Facebook group and network with the some of the biggest names in blogging (esp. in the lifestyle niche). I’m the admin of Utah Bloggers on Facebook. There are so many opportunities and friendships that are a result of these kinds of groups! Before I go to a blogging conference I make sure to join their Facebook group if they have one.
After reading this book I realize I need to do more planning and goal setting. I want to check out her taxes spreadsheet. I really like how she shows you exactly how to do a giveaway with up to 15 people with the spreadsheets and sample emails you can use as an example of how it’s done. I’m inspired to look for more trending content to base my posts on. I know some just from Twitter and people I follow on Facebook but keeping up with what’s new but I could do even better at. However, I don’t envision my blog getting a lot bigger. I make more money other ways and it’s tough to keep up with posting. It’s not worth the investment to me any more. This blog has led to years of business, my book, and it helped build my reputation. Everything else is a bonus. I don’t miss the comments and interaction that I used to have because I’m in a different phase now. A lot of that interaction happens on Facebook and some on Twitter.
I really think this ebook is great for beginners and even more advanced bloggers alike. I wish I’d had it when I started blogging. Probably my biggest mistake of all was getting a WordPress hosted blog. You are at their mercy. My blog got deleted twice because of a link that was spammy (I still don’t know what link it was but I had no warning and no recourse). I lost a ton of traffic and never fully recovered when I switched my blog to self-hosted. I hope every new blogger learns to just pay for your domain and hosting from the start.
Have you read “How I Made $40k My First Year Blogging,” I’d love to hear what you think about it. What did you learn and was it the right level for you?
- New Blog Post: @Newspapergrl PR and Marketing Tweets of the Week 2014-11-25 http://t.co/MFRxnIhADS ->
- Advertising industry biggest challenges: Talent, education, & fraud
http://t.co/CoPNFcUkdY via @digiday ->
- From Zero to 35,000: How I Built A Big Email List Exclusively About Books I Liked: http://t.co/yutiJcLp8A ->
- Merry Christmas Marketers! @Hubspot gives 250 Holiday Stock Photos to use FREE http://t.co/y7lfSgcaOU ->
- Awesome deal: 60+ Products from #SocialMedia, #Marketing, #Video & #Blogging Stars. -> http://t.co/M8hvdJdSxt ->
- The most beautiful landing page for ebooks! I want one! Thinking of buying them for the design alone. @therawchef! http://t.co/fVm7xX9jtJ ->
- My new ebook is included! Last day! 60+ Products from Social Media, Marketing & Blogging Stars http://t.co/NJBY5uosRP http://t.co/p4hH9ZF138 ->
- RT @StumbleUpon: Did you hear? We launched #StumbleBloggers today with @BlogMeetBrand. Creating content? Join for free: http://t.co/r8XWdFt… ->
- RT @Macheesmo: Just registered for the @BYBConference in Feb. Excited to see some other bloggers in the flesh! ->
- How to Post to Instagram from Hootsuite http://t.co/dam9KkqmLv via @PapermarkMandG ->
- “How I Made $40k my First Year of Blogging” – My favorite blogging ebook http://t.co/IZ3Wom9skx ->
- Since I work for @tbloggern they put their ad tags on my blog. I'm making SO MUCH MORE than I ever made on AdSense. #blogging ->
- Anybody can be placed on social media..if u don’t have the resources..can live forever & you can never pull it back. http://t.co/SRkN7GHqQt ->
- There are only a few hours left to grab the #Blogging Concentrated Stack. Don't miss it -> http://t.co/qgu0NhIhqm #bloggingcon ->
- RT @HobbytoHOT: The 80% Rule: Cutting Back on Work Makes You Work Better http://t.co/HtOVDfL5Cu via @lifehacker ->
- “How I Made $40k my First Year of Blogging” #ebook by @ChelseaLords http://t.co/VstJwB8rEz ->
- RT @BloggerSidekick: The Ultimate List of 95 Blogpost Ideas for Content Creators via @buffer http://t.co/0YMsYaAywx ->
- RT @BloggerSidekick: 5 Easy Tricks to Write Catchy Headlines http://t.co/3SaEpTYJd5 ->
- Hey @madmimi your customer service ROCKS! In a rush. Emailed questions. Your reps sent a Jing video showing me exactly what to do. ->
- RT @kikolani: 16 of the Most Brilliant Tactics in Blogging History http://t.co/eqvL0YEtRA via @BlogTyrant ->
- RT @kikolani: NEW: 5 Social Media Management Tools and Services You May Not Know About Yet (But Should) http://t.co/RtCl0hqVBs ->
- RT @gyalif: Ebook sales beat hardcovers for the first time http://t.co/h4oM9dKS via @TechCrunch ->
- RT @TechCrunch: eBay's Top Holiday Product Searches: Nintendo Wii; Xbox Kinect And Ugly Christmas Sweaters http://tcrn.ch/hTtCKU by @leenar… ->
- Perfect for my ebook, Christmas version of your product. You Can Now Rent Ugly Holiday Sweaters from @RentTheRunway http://t.co/DWWxvdktUX ->
- 100 Killer Ideas For Your Social Media Content http://t.co/IGi96MouUG via @forbes ->
- WestJet airlines pulls off another Christmas Miracle http://t.co/iwArmgwfWu ->
- Started blogging at age 12. Cover model on New York magazine. Now Broadway star. http://t.co/EluNOYdZei @tavitulle http://t.co/UA888GTKcu ->
- Check out @SocialSafe Downloads all your social network activities to your computer, makes it searchable http://t.co/ACylXksMyn ->
- "#Top #Best #Thanksgiving #Hashtags" https://t.co/28kXMDznpt ->
- New Blog Post: @Newspapergrl PR and Marketing Tweets of the Week 2014-11-18 http://t.co/KvgMCADM59 ->
- My employer @TBloggerN has a #BlackFriday special ($149) to their annual http://t.co/icLNfwyQI9 #blogger #blog http://t.co/paK6Ctvpck ->
- Every #author should be pushing this #BlackFriday deal! Rare coupon for 30% off a Book on Amazon: http://t.co/CJyGsMdVRI ->
- The Net Worths of Personal Finance Bloggers http://t.co/YurpKszn28 (links to income reports). via @TBloggerN ->
- My best RTs this week came from: @BookcriticNY @D_Sidd #thankSAll via http://t.co/SDCWjO51Ra ->
- RT @jeffbullas: The 14 Keys to Successful and Influential Global #Blogging http://t.co/eFmYdmRLzX #SocialMedia ->
- 60+ Products from Social Media, Podcasting, Marketing, Video & Blogging Stars. Only $27! -> http://t.co/HCoJONEig6 #cybermonday ->
All weekend after the fun, the food and spending time with weekend, I was on a mission. I stayed up all night one night because I just had to finish to be part of this.
Dan R Morris and Rachel Martin from Blogging Concentrated, along with top leaders in social media, podcasting, video and blogging have put together an incredible product stack for Cyber Monday!
Blogging Concentrated Stack – 4 Days Only but Giveaway is Only Happening Today
My ebook, 13 Social Media Marketing Ideas that Rock! is part of the deal. I wrote over 30 pages with examples and graphics to give marketers simple yet effective ways to market on Facebook and other social media sites. This is the only way you can get this product.
There are 60 social media marketing products in all, including:
A guide from Derral Eves who made the Piano Guys famous on YouTube, to teach you Video Marketing. If you’re from Utah like I am, you have seen their incredible videos and heard about these YouTube superstars!
How about the #1 Podcast on the planet? John Lee Dumas is going to help you become a Podcaster
The guy Entrepreneur Magazine tapped to write their Ultimate Guide to LinkedIn: Ted Prodromou.
Super Affiliate Lynn Terry, an 18 year veteran and Super Affiliate will show you what Social Media Marketing is all about.
Want to get better at Facebook? How about learning what Holly Homer on how she went from 50,000 fans to 1,000,000 in a year, without spending a cent on ads.
There are also products from Joel Comm, Leslie Samuel, Kelly McCausey, Nicole Dean, Missy Ward, and Tiffany North.
In addition, there are 4 specials TODAY ONLY Cyber Monday, including a giveaway where you could win:
- 10 Tickets to the Type A Parent Parent Networking Conference
- 15 Tickets to Affiliate Summit: the largest affiliate conference in the world.
- Mike Schultz and Anthony Xiques of iMartisan are giving 5 people: 3 hours of tech time with professional IT dudes.
- Blogging Concentrated is giving away 10 Tickets to use toward any of their international one-day blogging workshops. I highly recommend them! I went in Phoenix and was blown away. Basically it’s advanced training in thinking like a CEO to grow your blog.
But those are only until Cyber Monday ends, then they will randomly draw from the list at the end of the day to award those.
See the FULL LIST of what you’ll get in the Blogging Concentrated Stack.
You really can’t go wrong with this product. I can’t wait to dive into it myself! I’m sure that even one product would be worth the $27. Please let me know if you got it and your opinion – I’d love to hear from you!
- Influencer Marketing Campaign for an eBook Scored Millions of Views + Thousands of Downloads http://t.co/xyFAYrupYF #bloggeroutreach ->
- Get your Holiday Lights Installed with @TaskEasy – 20% off. I usually give bloggers opps – this time I got one! http://t.co/c7mOQLk2X8 ->
- New Blog Post: @Newspapergrl PR and Marketing Tweets of the Week 2014-11-11 http://t.co/jGnR40524M ->
- How a police department use of social media helps prevent accidents, involve citizens. http://t.co/vb5db7wgSL ->
- 2014 Holiday Shopping Stats from @Adobe – love the #data! #blackfriday #cybermonday http://t.co/CAR8zCxZkM ->
- Great tips! The Ultimate Black Friday + Cyber Monday Guide for Affiliates http://t.co/i6MK4MDVzt from @shareasale ->
- Affiliate Marketing Tips for Black Friday & Cyber Monday – my post on @TBloggerN blog http://t.co/vXprEb3PJk ->
- Business #Blogging Tips for a Boring Industry http://t.co/UV5kloo3d1 thanks Jim @optifuse #guestpost #b2b ->
- RT @LeslieSamuel: How To Maximize Your Income From Display Ads http://t.co/KoPCW8y5Uo #adsense #google #displayads ->
- The Persuasive Power of Analogies: How the Coolest Brands Sell Product http://t.co/4hDyLWsBpC via @GrowthHackers ->
- Here's a paid WordPress plugin for reviews http://t.co/qeyGWrADIT – great for affiliates (won't strip out your links). ->
- Most people in our organization agree the single most effective tool in growing our business has been our weekly blog http://t.co/ktsM8SVrDt ->
- Understanding Pinterest's Advertising Potential – Comparing Outgoing traffic in 2013 and 2014 http://t.co/c2dzNPn4s1 ->
- RT @jeffbullas: 50 Ways to Promote and Market your Blog Posts http://t.co/aKDfGO9TAd #socialmedia #marketing #bloggingtips ->
- 7 Christmas Social Media Campaigns that Rock http://t.co/TbkohVPIIs ->
- RT @inspiredgivers: #ShareTheLove @RaiserBot @NewspaperGrl @CromwellMagic for being AWESOME this week!
(insight by http://t.co/E3wP6y19b8) ->
- New Blog Post: Business Blogging Tips for a Boring Industry http://t.co/tAnHFIpfjS ->
- RT @BloggingCon: Interesting research here! How Moms Use Smartphones to Shop http://t.co/m8d4zmb3Ah #socialshopping #socialmedia #marketing ->
- My best RTs this week came from: @nclairembault #thankSAll via http://t.co/SDCWjO51Ra ->
- 8 visual content marketing success stories. http://t.co/Etw02mmTfw via @viraltag ->
- Want to Be a Popular Blogger: 20 Must-Reach Milestones on the Path to World Domination http://t.co/C4Ds7ZRuGB via @JonMorrow ->
- How I Earn Six Figures on My Blog http://t.co/Z5VhEaYHoO via @NaturalFamilyMy ->
When I wrote this post about how marketing experiments can hurt you, I got a thoughtful reply from Jim, who had an alternative view. He shared his business blogging tips that helped his unsexy business. His response was so thoughtful that I asked him to share it.
Jim owns OptiFuse, a company that manufacturers, markets, and sells fuses – from the little glass ones in all of your electronic equipment to the kinds you find in your car.
I got to meet Jim this weekend when he was in Ogden. It’s really fun to meet other bloggers and learn from each other! Jim showed me the file on his phone full of ideas for his posts. He agreed to write me a guest blog post and I agreed to write one for him. Here’s his:
Most, if not all, marketing experts will tell you that the key to building a great social media presence is to create great content.
Now this might be easy if your company is a trendy retail store, a theme restaurant, or a high-tech company with cutting edge products. Every day something changes: new style trends, the menu, or the new features on your latest smartphone app release.
Now imagine you’re not in a world that changes every day. You sell industrial fasteners, lumber products, or in our case, automotive and electronic fuses. How do you make those types of products sexy?
Well in a short word…you don’t.
Marketing today is not about just about selling products or services. It’s about selling trust, awareness, integrity, hope and dreams to a select community of people.
More and more, potential customers want to know who you are and what you stand for rather than what you sell.
A little more than five years ago, I attended a local workshop class entitled, “How to use social media to promote your business on the Internet”. The 4-hour workshop gave the students a brief glimpse into the world of social media and the different platforms one could use to reach a potential audience.
- Love this #podcast from @SMExaminer & what @LeslieSamuel is doing with #contentmarketing and #AffiliateMarketing. http://t.co/E3Q1d6aOQa ->
- How Businessweek is reinventing the magazine cover http://t.co/6UkfWOAaJg http://t.co/8tS583orp5 ->
- This is insane. Uber is reportedly raising at least $1B more, pushing past $17B valuation http://t.co/b1duZaSBlB ->
- Alibaba makes $1 billion in 17 minutes by highjacking ‘Singles Day’ http://t.co/wUhOGpfrMe ->
- Inc. Magazine: Utah has “arrived” — nice seeing recognition of incredible place to do business… http://t.co/CDc3FiaSq8 ->
- Google Trends now tracks viral videos http://t.co/6SXtABg8Ot ->
- Sneaky new app brings all your Amazon Instant Video content to Chromecast http://t.co/q5rvWyHvNX #coolgadgets ->
- 60 seconds with the team determined to make every car a smart car http://t.co/4sILSFQ53y http://t.co/CHCoGBf29u ->
- Affiliate Marketing for Bloggers: http://t.co/Q8z4K2wFh6 ->
- Ever since a marketing campaign touted KFC as the ideal Christmas dinner, KFC has been really big in Japan. http://t.co/hKZ7pGewue ->
- PODCAST: Blog Monetization: How You Can Make More Money With Your Blog http://t.co/mtOaj9KYC6 w/ @LeslieSamuel http://t.co/… ->
- November Affiliate Holiday Webinar, Part 2: Black Friday & Cyber Monday Tools & Strategies http://t.co/GdTpEBoKI9 via @AvantLink ->
- What Influences the Movies We See (YouTube is big influence -gives keywords) #infographic https://t.co/xziBnaiHXC ->
- Yes. Please. RT @JeremySchumann: You can now edit captions/statuses on Instagram & Facebook. Just waiting on you now @twitter ->
- Snapchat’s 24-y/o CEO finally moved out of his dad’s house & bought a nice place for $3.3 million. http://t.co/QfeU3Qs2rQ ->
- The email newsletters with the most unsubscribe requests: this is an award you don’t want to win: https://t.co/m0RuuIw0Yl ->
- Corporate Blogging Still a Great Way to Generate Leads #Infographic http://t.co/UGHnyrA7D2 via @socialtimes ->
- How to Creatively Use Positive Reviews to Build your Business http://t.co/UO7Ut9GJqe ->
- 20 Helpful Google Chrome Extensions for WordPress Bloggers http://t.co/GE9oqntkZg via @wpbeginner ->
I’ve recently teamed up with blogger Melea Johnson to start a series of conferences (more like workshops) to teach affiliate marketing for bloggers at the ABC Conference. We usually have a group of about 50 bloggers, mostly women in the lifestyle/mom blogger niche. At the last conference time we had a blogger who came from a small Utah town and blogs about looking for gold. How appropriate because I think bloggers are affiliate marketing gold.
We usually have just two speakers, including a blogger who makes six figures from affiliate marketing. She has advanced tips and everyone just loves what they learn from her. We focus on learning first and then DOING and my goal is to have everyone insert affiliate links into their blog before they leave. Right now bloggers are getting the most traffic of the year, so it’s a great time to start adding affiliate links.
At the conference, bloggers get to meet with affiliate managers in person with our sponsors. We look for sponsors who are a good fit. These relationships are so important. Having someone to talk to that you’ve met in person is so valuable when you are new and can work with you to do special promotions.
I do everything I can to make these conferences fun and informative. We do giveaways (Blendtec is a sponsor) and have great swag. Here’s just a sampling of the feedback:
Bloggers have content and audiences which are often a natural fit for affiliate marketing. They are usually already linking to products they love and have trust built. Many bloggers look for sponsored posts but they have to apply to get paid and compete against other bloggers. They may have to reach minimum standards for traffic or followers. Even ad networks usually require a certain amount of traffic to be accepted. However, any blogger (that is not spammy) can join an affiliate program and instead of getting paid for a post, can earn a percent from every sale they refer.
I recommend starting with your most popular posts and looking to see if there are affiliate links you could add. For example, one of our speakers added Zulily links to a post about what she wish she knew before she had her kids. Zulily is where she got most of her maternity clothes so she linked to it with her affiliate link. That post alone has brought her over $20k!!!
As you can see, bloggers were enthusiastic about what they learned:
Getting Started as an Affiliate Marketer (for Bloggers)
To get started, you need to sign up for an affiliate program or network. Once approved, you log onto the network to get special links and banners so they can track sales that come from your blog and you can start earning money. They also have graphics and other tools you can use. You can link directly to specific products or to a store. You can earn a commission off free things (like coupons printed), digital products like ebooks, and even when someone fills out a form (leads). The best part is, you can earn a commission for things you didn’t even link to. You make money from anything that’s sold within a certain time frame (the length of the cookie).
Just remember that in most cases a blogger is referred to as a publisher. Sign up as a publisher. Submit your application and when you’re approved, look for programs to join. You have to apply to each program individually.
Here are my top picks for affiliate networks every blogger should sign up for and work with. Each network works with hundreds to thousands of programs/stores/websites. So no matter your blogging niche, there will be programs you will want to work with in each of these networks. I made some suggestions below.
Once you sign up, go back and add affiliate links to your older posts that are doing well, like this blogger did:
I went back to my old food blog and added affiliate links up the wazoo. It’s an inactive blog bit I still get about 100 views a day I checked into one of my affiliate and I had $50 waiting!
Here are Some of the Top Affiliate Networks we Recommend to Bloggers:
I link to the signup pages directly because many are tough to find! Each one has thousands of programs.
Note: If you can’t find a brand on one of these networks, try typing the brand name + “affiliate program” into Google.
Impact Radius They have Target and Oriental Trading Company. Bloggers are referred to as “media partners”.
|ShareaSale – Craftsy, Our World Boutique, Zulily, Gymboree, Crazy 8, Modcloth, and ChecksUnlimited (many check programs actually). Their blog is very helpful and they have great new tools for bloggers.|
|Amazon has just about everything and since you’ll make a commission on all sales, this is a favorite with many bloggers. Amazon calls affiliates, associates.|
|CJ.com CJ has programs like JoAnn Fabric and Craft which is ideal for craft bloggers, Fabric.com, Old Navy/Gap, Zappos, Home Depot, Sears, and the Disney Store.|
|eBay Enerprise Affiliate Network (formerly Pepperjam) has ABC Mouse which a lot of moms love! Melissa & Doug is there (love their toys and you’ll earn more than linking to Amazon unless your readers add a lot to their cart on Amazon), Sheet Music.com, JibJab, Forever 21, and eShakati (custom dresses).|
|Linkshare has Nordstrom, J.Crew, Forever21, Sephora, Clinique, 1800Flowers, Starbucks, Sam’s Club, Hanna Andersson, Shutterfly, Petsmart, etc.|
|AvantLink has Blendtec, Baby Steals, Backcountry.com, Cabela’s, Patagonia, REI and Sierra Trading Post. They have many other outdoor niche sites. All the programs I mentioned are top performers. AvantLink has incredible tools to help you such as linking products in an image using your affiliate link. I also like them because they are local (Park City, Utah) and I know the founder and marketing manager. If you are into datafeeds, they are amazing.|
Here are Programs I think are a Great Fit for Most Bloggers I Work with:
I may have linked to them above, but for individual programs, here are some good ones:
One King’s Lane – I LOVE their deals and their higher end products are wonderful. I’ve purchased jewelry and am really happy with their shipping. Would make excellent gifts.
Craftsy – they have online tutorials and you can even get paid on some free tutorials.
Get Away Today – affordable Disney trips. While payouts are low and the progam is managed privately, you can earn a free trip when you sell a certain number. Contact Kimf@getawaytoday.com
If you’re more advanced affiliate marketing techniques, check out what Leslie Samuel teaches about creating a resource center. Even though his is B2B marketing, the concept applies to any blogger and what I love about it is that it’s based on content marketing – which bloggers do naturally well at.
If you have any affiliate programs that you recommend, please leave them in the comments!
Next up: a review of a DIY media kit ebook from a blogger.
- 5 Headline-Writing Strategies That Boost Press Release Reads: http://t.co/zqnAKfQzYX ->
- Global study of around 4k teens finds Almost 1 in 3 Teenagers has Online Regrets by Age 16. http://t.co/uM2uWIdtmr ->
- Filming for pilot starting @AmericanGnuity Kickstarter for tv. #utah http://t.co/xH9kvw6QHO ->
- The Godiva Guide to Mouth-Watering Blog Post Titles: http://t.co/QbSDtWmMbC ->
- 15 Image Mistakes Bloggers Make And How to Avoid Them – http://t.co/km68ni5apx (like that she shares her optimal image size for blog posts) ->
- Affiliate Marketing 101 For Affiliates and Product Owners http://t.co/VVL97xb0Vf via @shoemoney ->
- Interview with #Utah biz owner Paul from @saltspa – custom spa products made with salt from the Great Salt Lake http://t.co/cokiFS7TGY ->
- Google Plus Hashtags: Discovering Their Hidden Secrets http://t.co/obQKA09BmJ via @plusyourbiz ->
- Coca-Cola Indoor Billboard Dispenses Free Wrapping Paper During Holiday Season http://t.co/j8niN0MzvZ #marketing ->
- This is kind of cool–There are 100 women in Congress for the first time ever: http://t.co/Kbp7jTsIil http://t.co/8bvknGliN9 ->
- We’re excited to have @JustinaBlakeney takeover our Instagram for a few days! (Fun idea for social media marketers) Follow along: http://t.co/vyzcrHEDiW http://t.co/L… ->
- Everything about how to start a #startup, for free, from some of the world experts. http://t.co/JDUNDz1qj5 ->
- PR advice: write out the ideal story that you want to see published in bullet points. http://t.co/szrkc3fKho ->
- Utah mom makes successful entrepreneurial leap http://po.st/zh62XX ->
- The beauty bias – why you might make more if you’re beautiful.
- Adlet: Advertising Platform for Bloggers http://t.co/xhUqUjNRRm ->
- Ask Mandy Q&A: Using Facebook in Your Holiday Marketing http://t.co/Dp21H2C6XQ ->
- Marketers know this: Humans will remember something longer if it made them feel rather than think. http://t.co/vXfrxtZQoO ->
- The Number One Way to Reduce Your Website Bounce Rate http://t.co/gwFnTrbJVD ->
- How One Marketing Blog Tripled Its Email Subscribers With 3 Simple Strategies: http://t.co/6sifzOQJ1F ->
- Really nice deck from @carmenhill. How to Rock at Content Marketing in the Age of Content Shock http://t.co/zr3r37HsvF ->
- Learn How I can Help YOU with your blogging chores: http://t.co/HkC0ui2tbi http://t.co/… ->
- 5 Steps to Making the Most of Influencer Marketing http://t.co/zCNQjB1muP via @andrewspenceim [I work w/ influential bloggers] ->
- Shareablee Social Publisher Ranking Oct14 – National Geographic #1 w/ 67.8M engaged across FB, Twitter & Instagram. http://t.co/ska8QhahgT ->